By Eyo Nse,
Akwa Ibom State happens to be one of the southern States in Nigeria. As the State celebrates her 33 years of existence, here is the ten things you need to know about Akwa Ibom.
This is a Brainnews exclusive update, we are sure this will interest you to share among your friends after reading..
Here are the 10 things you need to know about Akwa Ibom;
1. Akwa Ibom is a state in Nigeria.
2. The state is located in the South-South geopolitical zone.
3. Her neigbours are; on the east by Cross River State, on the west by Rivers State and Abia State, and on the south by the Atlantic Ocean and the southernmost tip of Cross River State.
3. Her population is over five million people.
4. The state was created in 1987 by Ibrahim Babangida from the former Cross River State.
5. Akwa Ibom is the highest oil and gas producing state in the country.
6. The state capital is Uyo, and has over 500,000 inhabitants.
7. The state has an airport and two major seaports on the Atlantic Ocean with a proposed construction of a seaport at Ibaka, Oron.
8. The State has a 30,000-seat sports complex built by former governor Godswill Akpabio with a shaped like the Allianz arena stadium.
9. The State is also home to the Ibom E-Library, an information centre.
10. The main spoken languages in the State are Ibibio, Annang, Ekid, Oro and Obolo and English as an additional language.
Checkout more facts below;
11. The State clocked 33 in 2020 (23 September 1987).
12. The last governor was Godswill Akpabio (2017-2015).
13. The current governor and deputy are Udom Gabriel Emmanuel and Moses Ekpo.
14. The official political party of the state is Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
15. The State has 32 local government area (LGA).
16. The speaker of Assembly is Aniekan Bassey.
17. On September 23, 2020, Akwa Ibom State government unveiled her official State Flag, Emblem and its Explanation.