Here are the things you never knew about late Sir Victor Uwaifo.
Legendary singer and guitarist, Sir Victor Uwaifo, died on Saturday at 80, The Nation can confirm.
A close source to the family confirmed this to our reporter on Saturday.
The source said he died after a brief illness.
Below are the 10 things to know about Sir Victor Uwaifo:
1. Prof. Sir Victor Uwaifo (MON) was born on March 1, 1941, in Benin City, Edo State.
2. He obtained his secondary school education at the Western Boys’ High School Benin and St Gregory’s College, Lagos, from 1957 to 1961.
3. He studied graphics at Yaba College of Technology, Lagos and graduated in 1963 at 22.
4. He received a bachelor’s degree with first-class honours at 54 years old (Valedictorian) and a master’s degree from the University of Benin in 1997 at 56 where he studied fine and applied arts and majored in sculpture.
5. He was a musician, writer, sculptor, and musical instrument inventor, University lecturer.
6. He was the first Commissioner for Arts, Culture and Tourism in Nigeria.
7. He was the winner of the first gold disc in Africa (Joromi) released in 1965 and seven other gold discs in Guitar boy, Arabade, Ekassa series and Akwete music.
8. He was recognised as the most educated performing music legend, musical instrument inventor, artist, worldwide with a B.A Honors (first class valedictorian), Master degree and Ph.D in Architectural Sculpture, (University of Benin, Nigeria)
9. He began playing guitar at 12, his earliest popular music influences being records of Spanish and Latin American music.
10. He is recognised as the most educated performing music legend, musical instrument inventor, artist, worldwide. with a Ph.D in Architectural Sculpture from the University of Benin, Nigeria obtained at 77.