Jurgen Klopp On Liverpool Future: Nobody Should Call Me In 2024

0
50
Jurgen Klopp has brushed off talk over extending his contract at Liverpool and has reiterated that he will take a year off if he leaves Anfield in 2024.

Jurgen Klopp Anfield Norwich August 2021

The German coach will have been in charge for almost a decade if he sees out his current deal with the Reds.

Klopp took over from Brendan Rodgers in October 2015 and has guided the club to Premier League and Champions League glory.

However, speaking to Bild he claimed he has no plans to extend his current deal.

When asked if he is going to extend his contract at Liverpool to beyond 2024, Klopp told Bild: “There’s no point in saying anything about that because it’s still so long away.

“How am I supposed to know what’s going to happen in three years’ time? Most people don’t even know where they’ll be in two, three weeks.”

The 54-year-old was touted as a contender to replace Joachim Low as Germany coach earlier in the year.

ALSO READ:  The Current English Premier League Table As At Saturday, January 30

Klopp though quickly ruled himself out of the running.

In March, he said: “Am I available for the job after the summer? No.

“Someone else will do the job and with the number of good German managers I am sure the German FA will find a good solution.

“I have three years left at Liverpool. It’s simple. You sign a contract and you stick to it. I stuck to contracts at Mainz and Dortmund.”

Klopp keen to bring Sanches to Anfield

Low was eventually replace by Hansi Flick in the Germany hot-seat, a role Klopp two years previously suggested he would be interested in.

Speaking to German outlet Welt am Sonntag, Klopp said in August 2018: “Should I be asked at some point and I’m available, then I would think about it.”

The former Borussia Dortmund boss has once again floated the idea of taking a year off.

On whether he would like the job after leaving Anfield, Klopp added: “If it’s the end for me at Liverpool in 2024, then I’ll have a year off first.

ALSO READ:  Premier League: FT Fulham 0 - 3 Arsenal

“Hansi Flick’s contract would have to run until 2025 for me to even be considered. Nobody should call me in 2024.”

Klopp slams Burnley

Meanwhile, Klopp was fiercely critical of Burnley’s physical approach in Liverpool’s win over them at the weekend.

Liverpool beat Burnley 2-0 upon their return to Anfield with goals from Diogo Jota and Sadio Mane. It was a lively encounter from start to finish. Burnley were competitive, but Liverpool saw them off in the end.

It marked a winning return for the Liverpool crowd and saw Klopp’s side win without conceding for the second match in a row.

However, the manager was far from all smiles at the end of the game. Somewhat surprisingly, he issued a lengthy complaint about Burnley’s battling style.

He told BT Sport: “Burnley was never a game where you are just flying or whatever and can outplay them. At least not for us. We always had to be ready for a proper fight but we were today in a really difficult game.

ALSO READ:  Uefa Champions League Fixtures Today

“You saw these challenges with [Ashley] Barnes and [Chris] Wood, and Virgil [van Dijk] and Joel [Matip]. I’m not 100 per cent sure if they are really going in the right direction with these kind of decisions. It’s like we go 10, 15 years back to, ‘that was the football we wanted to see’ or whatever.

“It’s just too dangerous; you cannot really judge the situations. How you get up in the air, it’s fine, but when you get down and they stand still in the defender, it’s just hard