President Buhari has assured that his administration will flush out bandits.
President Muhammadu Buhari has restated the Federal Government’s commitment to flush out banditry perpetrators and protect citizens from the onslaught of all forms of criminal activities in the country.
Buhari gave the assurance on Friday when the Federal Government delegation paid a condolence visit to Gov. Aminu Tambuwal over the killings of 23 travellers by suspected bandits.
This is contained in a statement by Malam Muhammad Bello, Special Adviser to the governor on Media and Publicity, on Saturday in Sokoto.
The president’s condolence message was delivered through the Head of the Federal Government delegation and National Security Adviser (NSA), retired Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno.
Monguno commended Tambuwal for shoving an official trip, to receive the federal government delegation at a short notice.
”We are in Sokoto on a specific mission instructed by President Buhari, to condole you and the very good people of Sokoto State as well as the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III, over the unfortunate incidents that have been occurring over the last couple of weeks.
”Mr President views the occurrence as unfortunate series of developments in which very innocent lives have been lost.
“Every life of a citizen is important, it gives great concern to the president that lives are being lost in inhuman conditions.
“Mr President is conveying his profound condolence over the loss of all the citizens who have departed.
”He also wants us to express his deep sympathy as well as his determination that the perpetrators of this gruesome, wicked activities are apprehended and brought to book.
“Mr President is deeply troubled that fellow citizens had to go through this trauma. He has charged to make sure that all the relevant agencies do not rest until we are able to flush out the perpetrators of not just these last two incidents that occurred, but also previous incidents.
“Each of the top security chief in the country is here, an indication that Mr President wants us to address this issue in order to provide comfort to the people of Sokoto State,” Monguno was quoted as saying in the statement.
Responding, Tambuwal said Sokoto State was in the appalling grip of bandits and kidnappers marauding and scaring the populace in recent times.
Tambuwal said the situation was exacerbated by the influx of bandits and criminals displaced by the ongoing “Operation Hadarin Daji,” to end the nefarious activities in neighboring Zamfara.
”This has left Sokoto State vulnerable to the deadly and inhuman activities of criminal elements.
”The consequences of Operation Hadarin Daji has resulted, before now and in the last four days in broad daylight attacks and kidnappings occurred in parts of Isa, Sabon Birni, Tangaza, Illela and other local government areas of the state.
“The timing of the operation might not be conducive as security agents might not have enough equipment to move and contain those that moved to Sokoto State. So the timing and way the operation was being carried out left Sokoto vulnerable.” the governor said in the statement.
According to the statement, members of the federal government delegation include the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Usman Baba-Alkali, Chief of Defence Intelligence (CDI), Maj.-Gen. Samuel Adebayo, Director-Generals of the State Security Service (DSS) and National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Mr Yusuf Bichi and Amb. Ahmed Rufa’i, respectively.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Gov. Tambuwal had earlier confirmed 23 travellers killed when the bandits attacked and burnt their vehicle on Dec. 6, in Isa LGA of the state. (NAN)